Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Great Southern California Shakeout!

At 10:03 this morning, 85% of the schools and businesses in Southern California had a giant mock earthquake. The Great Southern California Shakeout, as it was called, was a preparedness drill for an earthquake would have registered 7.8 on the Richter Scale. Police and fire are running drills for how they would deal with building collapse and fires. My school participated, as did many others. Our school ran an extended earthquake drill including casualties with makeup on. I had 2 students with injuries in my room and it was my job to panic and have the volunteer student Red Cross workers have to separate me from the room so that they could deal with the injured. My 7th graders tell me I was quite the actress. Who wouldn't be? I had someone with a bone sticking out of their arm and another with a huge piece of glass protruding from their forearm! Yikes.

Anyway, it was kind of fun, but made me really start to think about what my priorities would be in the event of a real earthquake. I'm 26 miles away from Gracie and Luke. The building they are in is brand new and built with earthquake safety standards so they are probably pretty safe. Still, who knows how long it might be before I could get to them in a real earthquake.

I think some planning is in order.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 10th Birthday!

There's nothing better than bringing cupcakes and having free dress on your 10th birthday! These two were so excited that they kept r...