Today, Gracie got stung by a bee. We think the bee was already dead and lounging (I guess you can't lounge if you are dead) on the grass in Aunt Bec's yard. Gracie was playing in the grass when all of a sudden we heard a terrified/pain-filled cry. I rushed over to her and could not figure out why she was crying. That is, until I saw the stinger sticking out of her thumb.
Cousin Hailey pulled the stinger out and Gracie continued to cry. Just in case the doctor needed it, we put the stinger (with the little venom bag still attached) into a zip-lock bag. Aunt Bec and I decided to give Gracie Benadryl and Tylenol. None of us are allergic to bees, but we decided an early hit of anti-histamine would be good. Within a few minutes, her thumb started to swell and the swelling made it down to the soft tissue around the base of her thumb. We washed her thumb with soap and water and held ice to it until she passed out from the trauma. Actually, she did not pass out! She fell asleep after we gave her a bottle.
I am keeping an eye on her to make sure she does not have an allergic reaction to the sting. Here's to an uneventful night!
Though, will someone please tell me why this child is a magnet for creepy crawlies?